Sunday, January 9, 2011

Barbados and cacti


(written November something)
Lately I've been daydreaming about this coast in Barbadoes that i visited with my family when I was about 8. There was a long-abandoned hotel there, with an olympic-sized concrete swimming pool. Long-pillaged, long forgotten, merely a shell of past properity.
Anyhow, it was rather out of the way, in that not much else was close-by along that road. On that side of the island the water was much colder, and we found a large brain coral and many tiny jellyfish on the beach.
But it was a separate beach, below a cliff that continued out beyond where the hotel sat, that I keep thinking of. Both the cliff and the beach, I guess. I keep thinking about what that solitary beach would be like at night, and wanting to drive down that empty road on a clear night.
Imagine being on a small island in the middle of the ocean! Not too small, not a size that would make one feel vulnerable to the ocean, but an island of a size that you could drive from one end to the other in a day. (several hours long?) Still small enough though that you could get a sense of the entire thing, and you on it, surrounded by forever-deep, tumultuous, and sometimes gentle - WATER. Filled with LIFE! And so constant. And so ever-changing.
In Barbados I saw inside of a shark (no head), I swam in the ocean for the first time, and had my first exposure to Bob Marley. Also I learned the true meaning of a sun burn.
Barbados may be one of the first destinations.

No comments: